A lot of accidents happen at intersections. With so many roads laid out in a grid, traffic has to cross at all of those intersections, without the use of roundabouts, and these intersections are one of the most dangerous places to drive.
While these accidents can happen for numerous reasons, one of the most common causes is just when one driver runs a stop sign. The car that is legally moving through the intersection on the perpendicular road gets violently hit in the side, which can cause serious injuries in just a split second. But why does this type of accident happen in the first place?
Top reasons that drivers fail to stop
Naturally, there are many reasons that drivers make such a critical error, and each case is unique. However, some of the most common reasons include:
- The driver was distracted, perhaps by their phone or by someone else in the car.
- The driver simply did not see the stop sign until it was too late.
- The driver was in a rush or in a hurry, and that caused them to run the stop sign.
- The driver saw the sign but didn’t see any other cars, so they didn’t stop.
- The driver thought they were at a two-way stop and could keep going when they were actually at a four-way stop.
- The driver was impaired by alcohol or drugs and simply made a mistake due to this impairment.
If you have been injured in such an accident, be very sure you know how to seek financial compensation for your medical bills and all of your other costs.